Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Secret of Snow - by Viola Shipman: Book Review

Title: The Secret of Snow
Author: Viola Shipman
Pages: 320
Publisher: Harlequin Trade Publishing
Publishing Date: 26.10.2021
Genre: Women's Fiction, Christmas
Format: ebook
Rating: 2*

 

The Secret of Snow by Viola Shipman gave me the impression I was reading a Hallmark movie. It wasn't bad, but it's not memorable either.

Some parts of this novel were plain cheesy. Throughout the novel I was under the impression that the main character was a 30-something person. She was in her 50s! Not to mention, the cover is plain deceiving, what with those twinkle lights and that young person on the pontoon. It added to the feeling of reading an easy holidays romance.

It was interesting to see the transition of this person to life in a winter wonderland after she's spent decades of her life in the sunny California. Because she could easily be mistaken for a younger person, I had trouble remembering we're reading about someone who's had a long career up to that point. 

The unexpected romance between Sonny and Mason seems to me to by the typical romance between people in their 50s: you quickly move past the friendly banter and get to the "my wife committed suicide" part. In all honesty, it was hard to believe they just fell in love and in a rhythm that allowed them to become so close. But then again, a Hallmark story in novel form. 

It was an easy read, just what I needed on a fall week. Not a story I'll remember forever, but a cute one.

Thanks to the publisher for granting me a free e-book copy of the book via Net Galley. All thoughts expressed here are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment